I originally was going to call this “Things to do” but we already have 1,000,000 things to do! But that first day of school is coming whether we’re ready or not. So here are five things that will make your first week a little easier to handle, and ease back into a back to school routine.
1. Establish a nighttime routine. Turn off those screens an hour before bedtime. Don’t stay up until midnight. Take a bath, drink some tea. I’m really telling all these things to myself today because I stayed up until midnight playing UNO with the kids, ate a bunch of chips and queso, and scrolled on Instagram in bed. It’s summer and that’s fine, but in two weeks I’m going to feel like I threw myself into a marathon I didn’t train for.
2. Start drinking water. It should be half your weight in ounces of water. Will you have to pee? Yep. Will you feel better? Absolutely. If you can’t stand plain water, add yummy stuff like lemons or cucumbers. I put a tablespoon of chia seeds in mine, which also fills me up, and makes my coworkers think I’m drinking tadpole water, but hey it works!
3. Start thinking about meal planning and meal prep. You’ve got lunches and dinners coming up that you’re not going to have time to prepare. Go on Pinterest and look for boards of things you can throw in a crock pot, or have dinner today, lunch tomorrow.
4. Pull out your teacher clothes. I haven’t worn pants all summer long. I don’t know where they are. I’ve lived in t-shirts and shorts for a month and a half. I don’t want to try to figure out what to wear the first week of school on the eve before.
5. Do one more fun thing. Last girl’s night out, last trip to the beach, last hurrah. You’re going to be working your tail off soon, so you deserve it.
Enjoy the last moments, teacher friends!